The SERVICE is defined as the NOLU application.
Unless indicated otherwise, our Policy applies to all of Nolu’s mobile software applications that have been made available for download (each, an "App", and together, the "Apps") and any related websites or other online properties owned or controlled by Nolu (together with the Apps, the "Services").
When we say "Nolu" (or "we", "us" and "our") we’re referring to Nolu including any of its subsidiaries. We’re a global company headquartered in Montreal. For the purposes of EU data protection law, Nolu is a controller of personal data processed in the context of the Services.
Right to Use
Your right to use the Service is subject to any limitations, conditions and restrictions established by us from time to time, in our sole discretion. We may alter, suspend or discontinue any aspect of the Service at any time, including the availability of any Service feature, database or content. We may also impose limits on certain features and aspects of the Service or restrict your access to parts or all of the Service without notice or liability. If you are a non-resident of Canada then your right to access the Services, and in particular log in or access any database, is limited and restricted to a location situated outside of Canada. Any use of a database by a non-resident of Canada from a location within Canada is expressly prohibited.
From you, or from other sources at your direction
We collect a variety of information from you when you provide it to us directly or when you tell us to get it from a third party source. The particular kinds of information we gather usually depend on how you interact with us:
· We collect basic account information such as your email address, phone number, username and password. We need this information to create your account and it helps secure and provide access to our Services. We also obtain or infer demographic information. If you use Facebook or Google to register for or log in to the Services (or later connect your accounts), you authorize Facebook or Google, as the case may be, to share your personal information with us, including your email address, age and publicly available information about you and your Facebook friends, if you use Facebook for signup.
· We collect additional profile information about you when you upload a picture, or add your interests, dating preferences, skills and what you love.
· We gather information from the actions you take to recommend, create, communicate, and share content. This includes messages you send, information about the content you create yourself, the people you like, the users you mark as favorites, and the comments you post.
· If you send us support requests or comments you may also provide us with additional information to enable us to contact you and address your feedback and we may retain such information to enhance our Services and to respond to you.
· When you purchase a subscription, you provide our payment processor with your payment information. We currently use third parties to process such payments but may change that in the future.
· To be clear, we do not ask you to provide us with any sensitive personal information, such as information relating to your race or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, membership of a trade union, physical or mental health, genetic or biometric information, sexual life or sexual orientation. However, if you decide to share this kind of information on Nolu Services, you explicitly consent to us displaying it or sharing it in accordance with your selection.
Privacy and Use of Information
How we use your information
· We use the information we gather to help us provide, operate, improve, understand, customize, support, and market our Services.
· In order to register for a Nolu account, we need certain information. We may use your email address and/or phone number to send you information about the Services, provide customer support or to notify you of additional Nolu products and services, where permitted by applicable law.
· We collect information to learn about your use of the Service and to enhance your social experience when using the Services, such as friend-to-friend interaction and notifications, chat, or messaging functionality. We try to show you social content and date prospects that we think will be of most interest to you.
· We try to continuously improve our Services and your experience. As part of this, we use the data we have to identify ways to make our Services better and more engaging for our users. We use your interactions on the Services, along with the other data described in this policy, to infer your interests. We do this to identify and suggest content that you may like and to tailor advertising, including off-site advertising.
· We use data to identify and respond to potential risks to our users and Services (e.g., spammers, phishing attempts, screen scraping, bullying and other violations of our Terms of Service).
· In limited situations, we share de-identified content and information with researchers for educational research purposes.
· We promote our Services via customised advertising on third party sites. We may use your information to target advertising; including to design advertising campaigns designed to reach individuals with similar profiles to existing Nolu users.
· You use your information for customer relationship management (CRM) purposes, including for targeting email and other engagement campaigns.
· We sometimes conduct or sponsor surveys and contests. Participation in surveys and contests is completely voluntary. If you elect to participate, we may ask you for contact, demographic, and other information and may ask you to agree to additional terms and conditions.
· We use log data, such as device identifiers, for Nolu to recognize you and / or your devices.
Access to Location
Nolu collects location data to enable match suggestions even when the app is closed or not in use. Nolu will use location in the background to include user's location in search filters and for easy indication of other users' location.
Information you and we share:
· Nolu is designed to help you share your profiles to our community of users around the world. Most of the information you provide us through your use of the Services is information you are asking us to make public. You share your information as you use and communicate through our Services, and we share your information to help us operate, provide, improve, understand, customize, support, and market our Services.
· Account Information. Your phone number, profile name and photo, bio, status, last seen status, and receipts may be available to anyone who uses our Services.
· Your Content. Content is public by default. For information about how to change your privacy settings with respect to content or how to delete content from the Services, see the frequently asked questions at www. nolu.ca. If you comment on any content on the Services, your comments will be public and available to other users of the Services.
· We may share information about you or your use of the Services with our advertisers and third party advertising partners. This means that we may give our advertisers information about the characteristics of our users, along with sharing certain identifiers and/or location information, but we do not specifically identify you by name or share your contact information. Third parties can use this data to deliver targeted advertisements that they believe will be of most interest to you or to assess the effectiveness and reach of advertising campaigns.
· We work with Google Analytics which collects information such as how often users visit our website, what pages they visit when they do so, and what other sites they used prior to coming to the website. You may opt-out of Google Analytics tracking with the Google Analytics opt-out browser add-on.
· Third-Party Service Providers. We work with third-party service providers to help us operate, provide, improve, understand, customize, support, and market our Services. When we share your information with third-party service providers, we require them to use your information on our behalf in accordance with our instructions and terms.
· Any information in your public profile (e.g., your username and any profile image, location or additional information that you provide as part of your Public Profile, but not your phone number, or email address) will be accessible by other users of the Services. Content that you create through or upload to the Services will by default be public and available to users of the Services.
· We may publicly disclose aggregated statistics (like what dating preferences or types of disabilities are most frequent in a certain city).
· We may use any recording, video and/or other content you create and post in the Services in order to promote Nolu or our Services.
· We may share some or all of your information in connection with, or during negotiation of, any merger, financing, acquisition or dissolution, transaction or proceeding involving sale, transfer, divestiture, or disclosure of all or a portion of our business or assets. In the event of an insolvency, bankruptcy, or receivership, information may also be transferred as a business asset.
Our legitimate interests
We process your information in furtherance of the following legitimate interests:
· Keeping the Services safe and secure: We use your information to try and keep our Services safe and secure. We do so as it is necessary to pursue our legitimate interests, the interests of our community and yours, in ensuring Nolu is secure, and to protect against fraud, spam, misuse and abuse. We also want to protect against hackers who try to access content.
· Providing our Services: We use your information to provide the Services, including any personalized services. We do so as it is necessary to pursue our legitimate interests in providing an innovative and tailored offering to our users on a sustained basis and to provide stable connectivity. For example, where there is poor connectivity in an area or neighbourhood, users can experience difficulty in downloading/uploading content. In that case, Nolu needs to process log data, including your IP address, to troubleshoot the issue. Without your IP address and location info, it can be hard to fix connectivity issues.
· Learning how we can improve your experience on our Services, and contributing to research: We work hard to develop, enhance and improve our Services, such as by providing better song recommendations. We also share data with researchers to contribute to academic research. Where we contribute to academic research, we take into account your rights and ensure that protections are in place with respect to your information.
Managing and deleting your information
We offer the ability to correct or update the information collected during registration via your account settings on Nolu App or by contacting support via our online support form and we rely on the accuracy of the information you provide us (such as your age). You may request deletion of your account by contacting support via our online support form.
We retain your information in our server logs, our databases and our records only for as long as necessary in light of the purposes set out in this Policy, subject to any legal obligations to further retain such information. We may use third party service providers to store and maintain such data. We retain your verification-related information for a reasonable period of time, even if you do not complete all verification steps, to assist with future verifications and to prevent abuse of our verification processes. If you decide not to verify the account and would like us to delete the verification information you provided, contact support via our online support form.
If you create content with other users such group content will remain after you delete your account.
Monitoring of Information
We reserve the right to monitor all advertisements, public postings, messages, video and audio recordings to ensure that they conform to the content guidelines which may be applicable from time to time. While we do not and cannot review every message or other material posted or sent by users of the Service, and are not responsible for any content of these messages or materials, we reserve the right, but are not obligated, to delete, move, or edit messages or materials, including without limitation profiles, public postings, messages, video and audio recordings that we, in our sole discretion, deem to violate the Code of Conduct set out above or any applicable content guidelines, or to be otherwise unacceptable. You shall remain solely responsible for the content of profiles, public postings, messages, video and audio recordings and other materials you may upload to the Service or users of the Service.
Termination of Access to Service
We may, in our sole discretion, terminate or suspend your access to all or part of the Service at any time, with or without notice, for any reason, including, without limitation, breach of this Agreement. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, any fraudulent, abusive, or otherwise illegal activity, or that may otherwise affect the enjoyment of the Service or the Internet by others may be grounds for termination of your access to all or part of the Service at our sole discretion, and you may be referred to appropriate law enforcement agencies.
The Service contains information which is proprietary to us, our partners, and our users. We assert full copyright protection in the Service. Information posted by us, our partners or users of the Service may be protected whether or not it is identified as proprietary to us or to them. You agree not to modify, copy or distribute any such information in any manner whatsoever without having first received the express permission of the owner of such information. For additional information, please refer to our Legal Section.
We endeavor to ensure a level of security appropriate to the risks that are presented by the processing, having all due regard to the state of the art, the costs of implementation and the nature, scope, context and purposes of the processing as well as the risk to users. No method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure, however. Therefore, while we use reasonable efforts to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee its security.
Your account is private and should not be used by anyone else. You are responsible for all usage or activity on the Service by users using your password, including but not limited to use of your password by any third party.
Disclosure and Other Communication
© NOLU 2021.
Nolu. 1.1 is now available on Google Play. Download today to find new friends and dates to enjoy the summer in their company! Until September 1st, we offer a free 1 year subscription to try our new and improved Android version. Tell your friends!